Friday, April 25, 2008

FSC World Club Rankings

Fox Soccer has published their club world rankings ...



http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/3412562/Fox-Soccer-Rankings

The top five:

1. Manchester United
2. Inter Milan
3. Real Madrid
4. Chelsea
5. Bayern Munich

As you can tell from the top five, Fox is using current standing in domestic leagues as barometer for club success, instead of current form with all competitions considered. It's obviously an extremely subjective enterprise to rank clubs around the world, so one measure is as good as another, but I would probably argue for international cup competition standing (UCL) to be factored in with as much weight as domestic league standing. In that vein, I would list my top five right now as:

1. Manchester United
2. Chelsea
3. Barcelona
4. Real Madrid
5. Roma

Despite Real's thorough domination of La Liga, I have Barcelona ahead of them for getting to the UCL semifinals, and similarly in Italy, I have Roma ahead of Inter based on performance in Champions League. That said, domestic performance still matters, as evidenced by my placing Real Madrid ahead of Roma, who beat them in the Champions League.

No comments: